The world is in a constant evolution. This evolution has an impact on the way consumers consider products or services. These changes also concern the science.
Consumers want products that are in line with their values. These values are animal-welfare, sustainability, transparence… These concerns are not only for products but also all that revolves around. People also pay attention to the way science is designed.
Gnosis by Lesaffre as pioneer in innovation
Gnosis by Lesaffre, as innovative player in the dietary supplements market, wants to develop the science of tomorrow. We develop new in-vitro models to:
- Innovate better and faster
- Adapt our science to be more and more sustainable
- Mimic as close as possible human model in preclinical stage
- Develop new analytical methods
To innovate better and faster, we want to develop models that can be suitable for different ingredients or molecules. Using the same model for different ingredient will allow scientific to save time.
To improve the sustainability of science, Gnosis by Lesaffre develops models without animal. Indeed, animal models present lack of translation to clinical study.
Some models are not predictive in human as they are too far for human model in preclinical stage. For example, 2D cell line cultures are too simplistic and not react to a relevant manner compared to human. Some other models such as organoid suspension culture are not suitable to investigate on molecules or ingredients properties such as probiotics.
The intestine-chip revolutionizes the world of in-vitro models
Intestine-chip, also called gut-on-chip, is an innovative in-vitro model develop by Emulate.
This stimulating in-vitro model is a dynamic way to investigate on probiotics’ properties. This model is a 3D human-derived cell culture system. Some cells from the intestine are collected in a human donor.
This model is composed by three different parts:
- A top channel that represents the lumen of the intestine. In this part, the epithelium cells are organized like in human with the villosities on the top. As the organization is like in human, the tight junctions between epithelial cells are located as the same place in human.
- A bottom channel presenting some endothelial cells. These endothelial cells present a blood vessel organization.
- A porous membrane between the top and bottom channels. This porous membrane allows the exchange between the two channels as it happens in the human body.
Gnosis by Lesaffre innovated with this model by adding some immune cells from the blood: Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cells (PBMC). These PBMC are located close to the porous membrane in the bottom channel, as they are in the human body.
To validate the robustness of this model, Gnosis by Lesaffre investigate on LifeinU® BSCU1 properties. The efficiency of this probiotic is already validated by a clinical study.
DISCOVER ALL OUR LATEST NEWS
Natural Products Expo West is the largest natural, organic and healthy products event in the US to discover new products with more than 85,000 attendees. Gnosis team from US and Europe are looking forward to greeting you to discuss how we can support your efforts to bring natural products and solutions to your consumers.
The highest-quality products start with clinically validated ingredients that are certified by organizations that consumers trust.
Mental Wellbeing and Cognitive Health keep their role as top priorities for consumers, leaving nutritional supplement formulation opportunities for researched ingredients such as SAMe, Folate, and Glutathione